The Fringed Gentian

Saturday, October 07, 2006

We go together like ramma lamma lamma ka dinga da dinga dong...

Spank me! Spank me! I’ve been a bad blogger. It has reached the point where people have been screaming at me to hurry up and blog already. Deeply apologetic for the huge delay. I blame it on work and … well … general laziness…

Anywhere, here I am! *shakes booty sexily* Leh we go.

I meant to write this blog ages ago, near the end of the summer, and dedicate it to some of the most special people in my life – the A list/team/group/squad. I cannot remember exactly when or how it happened, but somehow a group of seven became inseparable. I blame it on that ancient African magic that gave us our superpowers. *giggle* Whatever the reason, we came together and there we shall stay.

Unfortunately, silly, little things known as "dreams, ambitions and chosen careers" routinely force us to separate geographically, but as soon as our planes touch down at GIA for summer or Christmas, we always reunite.

We were always close, but for some reason we seemed to strengthen our bonds this summer. Anyone who knows me had no problem guessing in whose company I could be found just about every single night of the week. Can we say sick, co-dependent relationships? I love it! It got to the point that whenever I was actually at home, my mother would anxiously enquire as to the reason I was not spending the night with my "family". Hehehehe. We were delightfully pathetic when it came to being in each other’s company.

The most touching part of our interaction this summer was the effort that was made to make sure that we all were at every gathering. It’s not often that you find people who are willing to routinely pick up their friends from any corner of the island just to make sure that all are present and accounted for. It’s a rare group of people that is willing to shell out serious money to pay for friends’ dinners because “we don’t care if you have money or not, if we going out you have to be there; the group has to be complete.”

So this one is for my sweeties; my sweeties that I saw way too often, lol. This one is for filling my nights with never-ending limes at every place on the island – from Champers to Accra beach. Despite late night phone calls that dragged me out of the house [sometimes in my pajamas no less] I would not have had it any other way.

This one is for some of the most heartwarming, entertaining, enlightening and intellectually stimulating conversations I have ever had. This one is for the head-pats, the shoulders to cry on, the listening ears and the emotional support. This one is for the smiles, the kisses, the hugs, the songs and the walks on the beach. This one is for the debates, the laughter, the inside jokes [the "incident on Kentucky boardwalk"], the bonding, the connectedness, the stories we made up, the dreams and aspirations, the plans for the future [the house and adjoining apartment complex] and most importantly, the feeling of genuine happiness I got whenever I was with these people.

I hope that the people at the University of the West Indies – St. Augustine and Mona Campuses, Loughborough University and the University of Leeds know how fortunate they are to have my people in their midst. The rest of us will hold down the fort here in Barbados until Christmas…

I have no idea what the future holds, or how long this group of seven will remain intertwined. But whether or not events – either within or outside of our control – force us apart, I just want to say that at this moment in time, these people mean the world to me.

[Sineglazka, R7, Sobey, Perky-Lerky, Aprilicious, Crete]

John Travolta / Olivia Newton-John
We Go Together

We go together like ramma lamma lamma ka dinga da dinga dong
Remembered forever as shoo-bop sha whada whadda yippidy boom da boom
Chang chang changity chang shoo bop that's the way it should be
Waooo Yeah

We're one of a kind like dip da dip da dip do whap de dobby do
Our names are signed boogedy boogedy boogedy boogedy shooby do wap shoo bop
Chang chang changity chang shoo bop we'll always be like one
Wa-wa-wa-one

When we go out a night (oh-h oh)
And stars are shining bright (oh-h, oh)
Up in the skies above
Or at the high school dance
Where you can find romance maybe it might be lo-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uve

Ramma lamma lamma ka dingity ding da dong
Shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yippity boom da boom
Chang chang changity chang shoo bop
Dip da dip da dip do wop da dooby do
Boogy boogy boogy boogy shooby sho wap sho wap
Sha na na na na na na na yippity dip da do
Ramma lamma lamma ka dingity ding da dong
Shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yippity boom sha boom
Chang chang changity chang shoo bop
Yip da dip da dip shoo bopp sha dooby do
Boogedy boogedy boogedy boogedy shooby do wap sho bop
Sha na na na na na na na yippity dip da do
A womp bop a looma a womp bam boom

We're for each other like womp bop a looma a womp bam boom
Just like my brother is sha na na na na na na na yippity dip da do
Chang chang changity chang shoo bop
We'll always be together
Waooo Yeah!

We'll always be together
We'll always be together
We'll always be together
We'll always be together
We'll always be together
We'll always be together
We'll always be together...

6 Comments:

  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger Sineglazka said…

    First off...I'm mad u used the song from Grease. Secondly KFC boardwalk incident is and always will be hilarious. Thirdly we need to work on the contract for the house rules and regulations. Finally "We are the A group and everyone else is just part of our story."

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger marie said…

    Firstly, you know how I do. Hehehehe.
    Secondly, I swear that in life I have never laughed so badly prior to or subsequent to that incident. That joke will never, ever die and we shall dislocate our hips in the nursing home laughing at that one.
    Thirdly, fuh real tho. We caan have people like Penners and Sealey Bashment eating we food and drinking we drink, lol. I like dem bad but dah ain gine fly, lol. Significant others must be kept in check!
    Finally, Sobey is absolutely atrocious and that's why I love him so much...that and apparently he's packing.

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger Leelee said…

    Yeah! So OC-ish you all are but I love it, and will continue to crash your limes and to be a "Special Guest Star" (like Heather Locklear in Melrose Place) in this ongoing drama called A-List Story. Now, we're all gathered around...what's the KFC Boardwalk story? *stern look*
    Now if only I wasn't so lonely and self-absorbed maybe I too could have had a cool group like yours...if only...Blah...nah it would never work...LOL! :P You blogged! My stars are aligned! :)

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger marie said…

    Lol, I know right Leelee? Straight from a teen drama. *shakes head in despair*

    Let's throw it back further than OC though; how about Saved by the Bell or California Dreams?

    "Don't wake me up
    Don't wake me up if I'm dreamin'
    California dreams
    Just let me lay here in the sun
    Until my dream is done."

    I'd tell you about the incident on Kentucky boardwalk, but then I'd have to kill you...

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A group name and a motto....wunnah so corny dread...lol...nyways, nice blog as usual

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger marie said…

    Marc, yuh clown. We do not have a motto. Sobey just said that one night when he was being extra Sobey-ish and we just laugh at it all the time. So there! lol! Hush yuh mout.

    I guess we do have a name though, cause somebody made a joke one time and it just kinda stuck, lol.

    You just jealous! :p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home